Thursday, November 30, 2006

TRansition Blues #3: Uncertain Life

US life is very predictable, you can plan up-to minutes and still manage to maintain the schedule. INDIA is totally reverse and I am surprisingly adjusting to unpredictability very nicely.

Today, just a rumor initially that there are riots and curfew in Pimpari (near Pune), then by afternoon a full blown topic of discussion, by 4.00 - a managers meeting resulting in decision that we should let people go home. The bus schedule was decided to be preponed.

Now, here I am, running a global project, supposed to deliver something, lost more 1/2 part of my productive day, just because somebody defaced a statue in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, few thousand miles away from Pune. I just agreed with the fact and hurried home.

Two observations:

1. I now understand, why many times my Indian counter parts could not meet commitments.
It is just not in your control how your day will be. The above example is an extreme, but I can
find more than 10 situations where life is controlled by everybody else other than you.

2. I am still Indian - at core :-). Today, I was calm, cool, found ways to reach home safely.
I am comfortable with the ambiguity in my life - at work, at home, in banks, every where.
You need to be brought up, grown up in India to develop the necessary patience.

I hope to continue writing more on my transition in coming days

2 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks for sharing Ankush. Good luck, I look forward to following your journey.

Heather

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree with you more. While life may be a little uncertain, I have also seen miracles being performed. A guy in my team waded through chest deep water to meet a deadline during the rains last year.