Thursday, November 23, 2006

Transition Blues #2, Good things

Transition Blues continues ....

I found some changes with respect my work and people around me, thought you might find these observations interesting.

1. People start late. The commute distance, public transport and overall traffic makes people reach office at 9.00 or after that. It is not possible for them to start early. They do go home late, at least after 8.30 in evening.

2. Companies provide good food. Last 1 week, I found high quality food, with multiple choices, in company cafeteria. I have been eating diet mean - Fruits, Small Sandwitch, a glass of buttermilk. It is pretty acceptable that people will ask for such food.

3. Cell Phone variety - The Cell Phone types available in India are at least 10 fold more than anything I had seen in US over last 10 years. Cell Phone are available, everywhere. The coverage is spotty, but wherever it is, it is better than land lines. I am extremely happy to see the usage and cost. It is cheaper than US or land lines in India.

4. Professional Behavior - Contarary to belief, I found a good Interior decorator & architect, who provides project consultancy, only. I also found few financial planners, willing to work on hourly basis. Moreover, I found a consultant who did my Salary fitment, by charging me fixed fees. So, overall, there is a need and acceptance to service jobs. It is interesting to see it improving. I agree that percentage may not be large, but it is there.

Overall, it has been a really good week, more as I observe and understand,

Ankush

No comments: