Thursday, November 23, 2006

Transition Blues #1

Today is end of first week after moving back to India. Thought, I should take stock of my 'transition blues'. What am I missing? What have I learned?

Here are my transition on blues:

1. I miss the ability to work from home. I have to be stuck to office to get anything done. The phone connectivity or Internet connectivity is not as good as it is in US.

2. I am really appreciating the limited resources companies provide in India. The team I am working with is working with serious limitations compared to US. The access, the transportation, the desktop machines (very poor configuration), overall limitations, the team is still delivering very high quality work. I am unhappy about the constraints.

3. I am already hating the commute time. Currently, I spend 1 1/2 hour, one way to commute to my office. I used to commute more time, more distance in US, but I could complete calls, at least focus on driving. Currently, I am unable to use Cell Phones in BUS (yes, I am using Bus to go to office), or, in Car (Occasionally, driver drops me in office)

4. Sugar, Sugar, Sugar - The Indian Diet, Tea, Coke/Pepsi, Coffee anything else, is full of Sugar. You can not live without Sugar. I am realizing that I need to watch-out, if I do not, the tri-glycerides and cholesterol will take its toll.

5. Last but not least, I am poor. I have realized, after a trip to Nashik, with my Architect. People have developed taste for new, better life style and are throwing money in buying the most expensive items in house. People are not only misusing the available facilities, but are building houses, just to show off. But, business people have lot more money than any salaried employee.

Overall, it has been a fun week, enjoyed every bit of it. The Transition Blues, I guess will be there, can not avoid it :-)

No comments: