Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Transition Blues #12: I drove to office today

I drove to office today. I guess the transition started 6 months ago, is coming to a closure. What did I learn in these "Unlearn to American Driving" attempts?

Driving in India is an Attitude not skill. I am skilled driver in America, but I had a safe, within boundaries, careful attitude. Driving in India is about dealing with ambiguity, uncertainty and chaos. Moreover, you need to be an aggressive driver, something that is not expected or not encouraged in USA.

One more learning is that you need to get comfortable with crowd and 2-wheelers. The willingness to accept a 2-Wheeler standing 1 inch apart of willingness to close mirror so that he can go ahead at a crowded junction is a must to safely drive in India.

Also, you need to drive with less data, more on Gut. You have to be able to drive like a "Running Back" carrying ball. You see everybody coming at you, but you have to chart a path, left, right, left, straight, left, right, you are responsible for moving ahead and you have to move ahead :-)

I do see lot of accidents on Highway where the traditional Indian Style does not work, where American Style is needed. Most of the accidents result in serious injury and fatality. I am seeing lot of positive improvements on implementing rules. Next week I am buying a sticker to put on my car "Proud to Follow Traffic rules in Pune".

More later....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

big b, i like to read all ur experiences:) thank u f

Anonymous said...

Nice experience.... i would suggest you try it once in Bangalore too :-) - Black Swan Fan from Bangalore

Unknown said...

I was led to your blog from Sukumar's. About 7 months back, I did exactly the reverse; unlearn the indian driving habits. The first few days of driving in USA, it was a case of 'discipline kills'. Now I guess the transition is almost complete for me. Good luck with your driving.
- Sumathy

Abhay Joshi said...

did you buy the sticker finally? I would recommend giving that sticker out to all your friends with cars.