Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Settling in India?

Today, I argued, successfuly about NOT moving to America and my passion surprised me.
Why do I think it may not be right time for somebody to leave India and settle in America?
  • The life in India - if your are already settled - is really more interesting and more enriching than totally work driven, fear (of losing job) driven life in America. Even the TV (CSI, Law & Order), News Papers (Bin Laden), threaten you about impending doom.
  • The Support System - neighbors, overall collective living, joint family are exceptional facilities during child rearing days and job growth. We have lived through the phase where we really, really struggled, fought, argued when we were alone in America. In India, it is tough to live in a joint family - independence is lost - but children are certainly happier and independent in India.
  • Work content - that is still my main attraction to work in America - is changing in India, but very slowly. The good quality, interesting, high-end creative work is still in America and very difficult to outsource or move to India or any other country. If you are young, no dependency on Support System, daring to learn new things and move at 100 Miles/Hour, America is still place to be.
  • Money difference is not much between America and India - actually, It may be worse in India slowly, the money spend is higher. Recently, I reviewed financial plan and counted the Monthly Expenditure for Joshi Clan, I realized it is more than I was spending in America.

So, I realized, if you do not need support system, not in middle age with Kids, it is better to be in America, but otherwise, India can be more fun.

Still question remains, have I settled in India?

1 comment:

rahul said...

Agreed with you on most of the part. But isn't it so called social support system in India vanishing? Ppl like me who have to work outside their native places find no difference in social support in India compare to USA.
About Kids, I am glad to see my 7 yrs old daughter being independent in her studies. She may be not be as good as Indian kids in "academics" but she enjoys the school and studies. Aren't we putting too much on Kids in India? Looking at your interest in teaching, would like your views on academics in USA and India. I think, elementary stage (5-6th grade) kids are better in USA.