Friday, June 06, 2008

Transition Blues #16: Living with parents #2

The living with parents is very interesting and advantageous situation if USA returnee can manage to adjust. Today, I do not have to worry about anything in house – my father keeps himself busy by finding best deals in the market for everything he wants. He is a HUGE fan to "Reliance Fresh – the grocery chain", knows the shop and deal schedule inside out and enjoys running the house again. He even buys anything that he sees fits his lifestyle and our needs, he is having a blast in buying things e.g. He boughta Flour Mill - he is using it in the house, experimenting with different fortified flours - as per the Yogic lifestyle. :-)

We can do our work/job with a clear conviction that my mother will take care of Kids whe we are busy. My son has grown fond of my parents to a very large extent. Their interaction is funny at worst and a blast at best. They like and enjoy being with each other, I am sure Omkar can not imagine living without his grandmother. My mother is also enjoying taking care of him.

I can think of travelling as much as my job needs, without any worry, I know the house runs without me being around. I know this is being selfish - but it the truth. Certainly there are quirks – you need domestic help that can work with my parents, their style and expectations. It is very DIFICULT to find a Bai (a maid) that can satisfy my mother’s Standard of service. Moreover, my mother is still struggling with adjusting with city Pune – a large city where domestic help is at premium and in demand.
Overall the advantages are more than challenges and quirks, but as I said in earlier post are you ready to give away control? Are you willing to negotiate and adjust at every stage – the independence you are used to in USA?

No comments: