Monday, December 25, 2006

Transition Blues #4: A Privileged Life

An interesting realization - The IT industry salary unknowingly pushes you to a special life, not available to most of the normal Indian citizens. The willingness to spend money results in life's comforts like a car with a driver to go to office, 2 or 3 servents in house, one for each task - dusting, cleaning dishes, clothes, special TV's, big apartment, different style clothes and most of all, special schools for children (A/C buses for some kids to go to school!).

The normal people, the ones who do all the work, still travel by bus, bicycle, may be a two wheeler, live in shanti houses, may not have food on table once in a week.

The gap in these life styles is distrubing at best, It has made me think.
Do I deserve what I am getting? If yes, should I have a guilt about having the money I am earning? I am not sure, but the poverty, the 4 strata class system, Rich, Higher Middle Class, Lower Middle Class and Poor, it not sustainanble in long term.

I do not have answer, but just an observation ....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ankush, Just got to know about your blog from Abhay. I read all your "Transition Blues" posts. I will be following the posts for sure. Wish you all the best. I really liked the title of your blog :) More a lecturer than a coach actually ;-)

--Amit Chakradeo
http://amit.chakradeo.net/

Anonymous said...

I got to your post from your LinkedIn profile..

Really well written blog...

But I must say something here - I have worked at Cognizant and I dont feel that the salaries allow you the luxuries that you have mentioned. Yes, they do at the senior manager level and above - but not for 70% of the folks out there.

I would say they earn well but in no way do they earn more than what they deserve and in fact I would say some even earn less than what they deserve because the same skill set fetches a much higher pay in outisde countries...