Saturday, March 18, 2006

V for Vendetta - A political Statement?

Yesterday, I watched the 'V for Vendetta' movie, IMAX experience. I went to movie due to my respect for Natalie Portman, a fine, talented acttress. But the movie is good.

I resonated with the story, specifically the manipulation of media, oh man, a big thing in America today. I am as surprised to make me furious.

I remember, in Aurangabad, India, there were two news papers, Marthwada - BJP/Communist news paper and LokMat - Congress Newspaper and one would quickly realize that there is no truth in their news coverage. I remember a new party came to power when both these news papers were fighting with each other. But it was known that these newspapers are party newpapers.

But one does not expect that in USA, we are a free country, 1st amendment, independent journalism, private ownership. The situation is changing for worse, extremely polarized over last 2 years. Moreover, the newspapre dissent is totally absent on key issues. I believe newspapers are manipulated by govt, by corporations and there is understanding among journlist that they need to self-censor. They are partriots, if they are in agreement with government. The same theme in V for Vendetta.

V-for Vendetta brings up power of media and its effect on managing people's perception on the forefront. The V starts the fight with the help from media-TV and creates situation, events that forces government to get on-to spin control, further damaging credibility of government.

I do not necessarily agree with the violence shown, but I do agree that symbols play an important role and demolishing symbols can help in changing people's perception, like statues in Moscow or in Bagdad or burning flags.

I believe that V for vendetta is a political statement, construed in a way to make money for the studios, by attracting the crowd (ones who want to agree and the ones who want to disagree), so eventually we are getting manipulated by the business. :-(

More about studios and their appetite to make money off us soon,

No comments: